Fullerton Hotel is sitting on the site of Fort Fullerton which was built in 1829 to guard against naval attacks. In 1874, the fort was no more (the cannons were moved to Sentosa) and eventually, in 1928, the Fullerton building was completed on the site. It was named after Robert Fullerton, the first Governor of the Straits Settlement. Besides the General Post Office which occupied the first two floors, the exclusive members only Singapore Club rented its upper floors until government departments took over in 1961. Besides the post office, it is best remembered as the place of the Inland Revenue Department office, which occupied the building from the 1970s to 1995. The General Post Office vacated in 1996 and extensive renovations and restoration works turned this into the five-star Fullerton Hotel which opened in 2001. Its neo-classical facade with fluted Doric colonnades give it an air of grandeur.
The hotel is linked by an underpass to One Fullerton, a modern waterfront hub with restaurants and bars with views of the Marina Bay, just across the road from the hotel. As you can see, the Merlion, a mythical icon of Singapore, is sited next to it.
For more Scenic Sunday posts, go here.